i will post here less. an open letter to Google and the West Coast.
Greg C. Westin
2017-05-05 21:19:23 UTC
Hello there. I have been a regular poster to this group since April 1997, but I learned that most of the things I posted here are now Google's property, something I have a few questions about. So, I have decided to write my own poetry on my laptop, right now, I only have 28 poems, but I have decided it is best not to post these, I'd rather get posted by more traditional means, like paper back books. I also am trying to draw as I write the poems on Microsoft Paint. I miss the criticism, and the sharing of the poems on rec.arts.poems, but I must say that it seems idiotic to do everything for free, even open source programming, that this concept learned during the Clinton administration is painful. I hope I'm going to better places now, even though Google is opening up a 330000 square foot facility where I went to school, in Boulder, Colorado.

I find it unfortunate that places I liked to read and sing my poems have been closed down, and a new culture of hatred has predominated even sometimes in Boulder and elsewhere. The new idea of "coffee" is just a quick drink of something tasty and then people leave with their same old friends, doing the same old thing. This is contrary to the words of Kurt Cobain from the Nirvana Nevermind album and "Smells Like Teen Spirit", where he said "Our little group has always been and always will be until the end."

I am sorry for putting down Allen Ginsberg, who lived in Boulder while I was going to school there from 1993-1997, me graduating in 1999 from there. I understand Anne Waldman's hope that we "Keep the world safe for poetry." but in some coffee shops, like Innesfree in Boulder, I did not feel safe sharing my poetry there because of verbal abuse, and I want things to be changed even though Naropa and the beatniks are moving into their realization of second and third generations, and maybe even fourth (First being the boomers, second being X, third being millennial, fourth being homeland)...

I read Stauss's (From Harvard) book "The Fourth Turning" and I am sorry to the streets of Los Angeles, San Francisco, Berkeley, Boulder, and Fort Collins in creating "Foo the rabbit" from a programming idea in 2002, and dividing the known world between Xers and Millenials. I'm only sorry somewhat. I think the millennials have a problem with God, and just everyday existing correctly, and getting through the habits of everyday life, but we'll see if we can correct this with time. I am sorry about Foo, the idea came from an Eminem video "without me" where he kicks Moby around somewhat, and, I just think maybe Moby deserves a little credit in this lifetime, and I also lost respect of the Foo Fighters Dave Grohl and began to face 15 years of attack on here, and in society, and I say, that the original intent was to make disciples on here.

I just find it a problem working for free, and by now, if I had published on my own instead of on here, I would probably have over 1000 poems, and I wouldn't be in this place of judgement, as many people who are here on rec.arts.poems are in... Judgement. From what I saw with Chuck Lysight, ot whatever his name is, to Peter J Ross, I find that when this part of Google hit the streets, it miserably failed in community, and everything that is necessary, and became some kind of "binary slavery". I just don't want it anymore. Facebook did not go well, either, and I don't want to save your world right now with great ideas, because I'm being cookie cuttered with psychiatric medication and every diagnosis in the DSM-IV, and I just have to say, that, maybe the situation should change so the things I post on here do not become property of Google and
our world becoming as cold as a computer science PhD who has made it big in this world, but doesn't care about society or even poetry readings at coffee shops because they are engineers and don't congregate with people from non engineering problems.

I will continue to post here, but, I'm saddened by the end of Penny Lane in Boulder, where Nirvana once played in 1989 and Ginsberg also played. I understand the Boulder Poetry group has some problems, but I think it is not necessary for all the music shops to close because of Apple I Pad and I Tunes.
Somehow, something from the 90's needs to come back a little bit in our culture, but I don't want to help you get there, because I really hate the culture of speculation here, and I am sorry, but Microsoft is only a few moves from ending Google and everything here, I can see it.

Good Luck,
Greg Westin
Will Dockery
2017-05-13 12:00:38 UTC
Post by Greg C. Westin
[...]
Good read, Greg.

Wish you would come over and join the regulars on alt.arts.poetry.cmments

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/alt.arts.poetry.comments

Quite a bit more activity there.
Peter J Ross
2017-05-17 19:41:20 UTC
In rec.arts.poems on Fri, 5 May 2017 14:19:23 -0700 (PDT), Greg C.
Post by Greg C. Westin
Hello there.
Hello!
Post by Greg C. Westin
I have been a regular poster to this group since April 1997,
In all those years, has anybody ever read one of your idiotic posts
all the way through?

<vast whine snipped>
--
PJR :-)

τὸν οἰόμενον νόον ἔχειν ὁ νουθετέων ματαιοπονεῖ.
- Democritus