Russian translation of Will Dockery poetry
Will Dockery
2017-08-20 19:09:05 UTC
I see, so someone stole
your poem and translated
it into Russian. The bastards.
They didn't really steal it since I'm fully credited as the writer:

Текст и перевод песни Will Dockery - Chattahoochee Sunset

Text and translation for Will Dockery - Chattahoochee Sunset

http://perevody-pesen.ru/pesnya/pokazat/4023667/will-dockery-the-shadowville-all-stars/tekst-perevod-pesni-chattahoochee-sunset/

But you are correct, they did do this without my permission.

:)
i***@gmail.com
Congratulations Will.
Will Dockery
2017-08-21 11:11:03 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
Post by Will Dockery
I see, so someone stole
your poem and translated
it into Russian. The bastards.
Текст и перевод песни Will Dockery - Chattahoochee Sunset
Text and translation for Will Dockery - Chattahoochee Sunset
http://perevody-pesen.ru/pesnya/pokazat/4023667/will-dockery-the-shadowville-all-stars/tekst-perevod-pesni-chattahoochee-sunset/
But you are correct, they did do this without my permission.
:)
Congratulations Will.
Hello Ilya, my friend...

An old thread of yours has been revived on alt.arts.poetry.comments that you may ant to add new comments to, and comment on:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.arts.poetry.comments/bUA38L_E51c/_vgtHQe7X2EJ

"Well, they also have high view of Homer and Shakespeare and a number
of others, but since they get neither in native tongue they don't get
from them the same feeling that they do from Russian poets. What's
special about Russian poetry is its musicality, which is not as
present in English or Chinese or German poetry, and that makes it very
touching and powerful. When I translate Russian poetry my first goal
is to convey the feeling, which is the most important part of the
Russian poem's appeal. A Russian professor at Georgetown once said
that my translations were "too Russian" - that is because they were
meant to be. With Homer, Shakespeare, etc., we don't get that effect
as much, especially in Russian translation. But if you're a Russian
speaker, you get the feeling of the poem, which is in many ways more
important for conveying it than its words. I know an American
gentleman who worked in Russian translation, and he used to read out
loud Russian poetry while on the treadmill. At any rate, with Russian
poetry, there is an intense musicality that conveys more than do
words, and Pushkin was probably the best at that of all Russian poets."
-Ilya Shambat