2015... the undiscovered country
Will Dockery
2014-12-31 14:12:11 UTC
2015, the undiscovered country... the future!

"The undiscovered country
from who is born
No traveler returns.
Puzzles the will
and makes us
rather bear those ills we have,
than fly to others
that we know not of?"
-Wm. Shakespeare

Check out "Rock-N-Roll Night / Will Dockery, Jack Snipe & Brian
Mallard" -
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery/song/18033340-rock-n-roll-night--dockery-snipe
Peter J Ross
2014-12-31 21:30:02 UTC
In alt.arts.poetry.comments on Wed, 31 Dec 2014 09:12:11 -0500, Will
Post by Will Dockery
2015, the undiscovered country... the future!
"The undiscovered country
from who is born
No traveler returns.
Puzzles the will
and makes us
rather bear those ills we have,
than fly to others
that we know not of?"
-Wm. Shakespeare
Yes, the douchebag seriously thinks that that's what Shakespeare
wrote.

"from who is born"

LOL!
--
PJR :-)
... τὸ διδάξασθαι δέ τοι
κουφότεραι γὰρ ἀπειράτων φρένες. (Pindar)
Will Dockery
2014-12-31 22:56:04 UTC
Context and completeness come most immediately to mind.
What you quoted wasn't even the complete
It served the context of the Star Trek material, as pointed out earlier:

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Star_Trek_VI:_The_Undiscovered_Country

<exerpted for example, information, and other fair use purposes>

Spock: Good morning. Two months ago, a Federation starship monitored an
explosion on the Klingon moon, Praxis. We believed it was caused by
overmining and insufficient safety precautions. The moon's decimation means
a deadly pollution of their ozone. They will have depleted their supply of
oxygen in approximately 50 Earth-years. Due to their enormous military
budget, the Klingon economy does not have the resources with which to combat
this catastrophe. Last month, at the behest of the Vulcan ambassador, I
opened a dialogue with Gorkon, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council. He
proposes to commence negotiations at once.

Admiral Cartwright: Negotiations for what?

Spock: The dismantling of our space stations and starbases along the Neutral
Zone, an end to almost 70 years of unremitting hostility which the Klingons
can no longer afford.

Chancellor Gorkon: I offer a toast. The undiscovered country--the future.

Everyone: The undiscovered country.

Spock: Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 1.

Gorkon: You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the
original Klingon.

Chang: taH pagh taHbe' [Klingons laugh] "To be or not to be?" That is the
question which preoccupies our people, Captain Kirk. We need breathing room.
James Kirk: Earth. Hitler, 1938.

Chang: I beg your pardon? [pause]

Gorkon: Well, I see we have a long way to go.

<exerpted for example, information, and other fair use purposes>
Peter J Ross
2014-12-31 23:29:25 UTC
In alt.arts.poetry.comments on Wed, 31 Dec 2014 17:56:04 -0500, Will
Post by Will Dockery
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Star_Trek_VI:_The_Undiscovered_Country
<exerpted for example, information, and other fair use purposes>
LOL!

Will you ever learn anything about copyright, douchebag?

<https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/>

(LOL also at "exerpted")
Will Dockery
2015-01-01 01:43:56 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
2015, the undiscovered country... the future!
"The undiscovered country
from who is born
No traveler returns.
Puzzles the will
and makes us
rather bear those ills we have,
than fly to others
that we know not of?"
-Wm. Shakespeare
Piggy's gonna have a field day with that misquote.
Maybe so, but it wasn't meant to be exact, more as background for the more
timely quotes from Star Trek,sorry to those who are not fans.

Other good Shakespeare (mis)quotes in the same Star Trek film:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek_VI:_The_Undiscovered_Country

Hamlet Edit
"I thought I would assume a pleasing shape." (Act II, Scene II)
- Martia, to Kirk

"The undiscovered country." (Act III, Scene I)
- Gorkon, toasting

"To be, or not to be." (Act III, Scene I)
- Chang's last words

Julius Caesar Edit
"Cry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war!" (Act III, Scene I)
- Chang

"I am constant as the northern star." (Act III, Scene I)
- Chang

King Henry IV, Part II Edit
"Have we not heard the chimes at midnight?" (Act III, Scene II)
- Chang, to Kirk

King Henry V Edit
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends." (Act III, Scene I)
- Chang

"The game's afoot." (Act III, Scene I)
- Chang

The Merchant of Venice Edit
"Tickle us, do we not laugh? Prick us, do we not bleed? Wrong us, shall we
not revenge?" (Act III, Scene I)
- Chang, paraphrasing

Richard II Edit
"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
(Act III, Scene II)
- Chang, at Kirk's trial

Romeo and Juliet Edit
"Parting is such sweet sorrow." (Act II, Scene II)
- Chang, to Kirk

The Tempest Edit
"Our revels now are ended." (Act IV, Scene I)
-Chang
Will Dockery
2015-01-05 12:55:55 UTC
"Time is the school in which we learn, time is the fire in which we
burn." -Delmore Schwartz

5 days in and so far so good to this new year... only 360 days left! In this
corridor of memory & dream we call life, a splendid 2015 to all my friends
family & comrades in arts, on behalf of The Shadowville All-Stars & related
projects.

http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery/songs

— reading Pax Americana with Mike Matthews and 5 others at Edgewood Park.
Will Dockery
2019-10-25 06:23:17 UTC

Worth another read....
W.Dockery
Delmore Schwartz is another great but relatively obscure poet.
Rocky Rhodan
He inspired Lou Reed in his youth....
W.Dockery