PPB: The Lonely Hunter / Fiona MacLeod
George J. Dance
2022-07-17 16:21:36 UTC
Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
The Lonely Hunter, by Fiona MacLeod
[...]
Deep in the heart of Summer, sweet is life to me still,
But my heart is a lonely hunter that hunts on a lonely hill.
[...]
https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/07/the-lonely-hunter-fiona-macleod.html
W-Dockery
2022-07-26 13:07:51 UTC
Post by George J. Dance
The Lonely Hunter, by Fiona MacLeod
[...]
Deep in the heart of Summer, sweet is life to me still,
But my heart is a lonely hunter that hunts on a lonely hill.
[...]
https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/07/the-lonely-hunter-fiona-macleod.html
As usual, I learned a lot from your post, George Dance.

For example, that Carson McCullers was directly inspired by the poem, and that Fiona "Was a man, baby!"

And so it goes.

🙂
Victor H.
Of great interest as I am a huge fan of Carson McCullers, Ma Rainey, any artists of this area....
Victor H.
2022-07-26 20:53:41 UTC
Post by George J. Dance
The Lonely Hunter, by Fiona MacLeod
[...]
Deep in the heart of Summer, sweet is life to me still,
But my heart is a lonely hunter that hunts on a lonely hill.
[...]
https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/07/the-lonely-hunter-fiona-macleod.html
Great choice, George, makes me think of a local girl who made good, Carson McCullers.
"The Heart is a Lonely Hunter"
They made a heck of a good movie out of it also...!

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter - 1968

W.Dockery
2022-07-26 21:20:19 UTC
Post by Victor H.
Post by George J. Dance
The Lonely Hunter, by Fiona MacLeod
[...]
Deep in the heart of Summer, sweet is life to me still,
But my heart is a lonely hunter that hunts on a lonely hill.
[...]
https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/07/the-lonely-hunter-fiona-macleod.html
Great choice, George, makes me think of a local girl who made good, Carson McCullers.
"The Heart is a Lonely Hunter"
They made a heck of a good movie out of it also...!
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter - 1968
http://youtu.be/pF-r1aOD6Vc
I remember that one, and Marlon Brando starred with Elizabeth Taylor in the adaptation of "Reflections in a Golden Eye":

Victor H.
2022-07-28 21:18:52 UTC
Post by George J. Dance
The Lonely Hunter
Green branches, green branches, I see you
beckon; I follow!
Sweet is the place you guard, there in the
rowan-tree hollow.
There he lies in the darkness, under the frail
white flowers,
Heedless at last, in the silence, of these sweet
midsummer hours.
But sweeter, it may be, the moss whereon he
is sleeping now,
And sweeter the fragrant flowers that may
And sweeter the shady place deep in an Eden
hollow
Wherein he dreams I am with him---and,
dreaming, whispers, "Follow!"
Green wind from the green-gold branches,
what is the song you bring?
What are all songs for me, now, who no more
care to sing?
Deep in the heart of Summer, sweet is life to
me still,
But my heart is a lonely hunter that hunts on
a lonely hill.
Green is that hill and lonely, set far in a
shadowy place;
White is the hunter's quarry, a lost-loved hu-
O hunting heart, shall you find it, with arrow
of failing breath,
Led o'er a green hill lonely by the shadowy
hound of Death?
Green branches, green branches, you sing of
a sorrow olden,
But now it is midsummer weather, earth-
Here I stand and I wait, here in the rowan-
tree hollow,
But never a green leaf whispers, "Follow, oh,
Follow, Follow!"
O never a green leaf whispers, where the
O never a song I hear now, where one was
wont to sing
Here in the heart of Summer, sweet is life to
me still,
But my heart is a lonely hunter that hunts on
a lonely hill.
Looking at the email address I suspect that this is a forgery ^^^^^
Definitely a forgery, not me...!
W-Dockery
That's what I was thinking.
Rocky Stoneberg
Another read quite excellent....
W-Dockery
Seconded.
George J. Dance
Thanks to you both for bumping it. Fiona has yet to find her audience.
Victor H.
2022-08-13 19:58:54 UTC
Post by George J. Dance
Post by W-Dockery
Post by Rocky Stoneberg
Post by George J. Dance
The Lonely Hunter, by Fiona MacLeod
[...]
Deep in the heart of Summer, sweet is life to me still,
But my heart is a lonely hunter that hunts on a lonely hill.
[...]
https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/07/the-lonely-hunter-fiona-macleod.html
Another read quite excellent....
Seconded.
Thanks to you both for bumping it. Fiona has yet to find her audience.
What about the possibility of posting a poem by William Makepeace Thackeray, G.D...?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Makepeace_Thackeray

************William Makepeace Thackeray (/ˈθækəri/; 18 July 1811 – 24 December 1863) was a British novelist, author and illustrator. He is known for his satirical works, particularly his 1848 novel Vanity Fair, a panoramic portrait of British society, and the 1844 novel The Luck of Barry Lyndon, which was adapted for a 1975 film by Stanley Kubrick.
************

Poems
The Pigtail
The Mahogany Tree (1847)

Seems hw's in need of a boost...!
W.Dockery
Good find.
W.Dockery
2022-08-31 12:16:00 UTC
Thanks again for proving me point, Pendragon, as you continue to defend and support the forgers and identity thieving trolls.
And so it goes.
Distinguishing impersonation/mockery from forgery/identity theft is not a defense
Since you were caught and admit to doing it to George Dance here, and to others elsewhere, it isn't surprising that you defend impersonating trolls, being one yourself, Pendragon.

HTH and HAND.
Rocky Stoneberg
2022-09-02 20:54:04 UTC
Post by George J. Dance
The Lonely Hunter, by Fiona MacLeod
[...]
Deep in the heart of Summer, sweet is life to me still,
But my heart is a lonely hunter that hunts on a lonely hill.
[...]
https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/07/the-lonely-hunter-fiona-macleod.html
Great choice, George, makes me think of a local girl who made good, Carson McCullers.
"The Heart is a Lonely Hunter"
Carson's Blues · Suzanne Vega
Lover, Beloved: Songs from an Evening with Carson McCullers

W-Dockery
2022-09-06 02:09:34 UTC
http://youtu.be/CY9b7-_ZYM8
Good find.
General-Zod

**********In Suzanne Vega's solo show, "Carson McCullers Talks About Love," she plays the late southern writer and tells the story of McCullers' life.**************
W.Dockery
2022-10-08 07:27:59 UTC
http://youtu.be/8Ki0j-RVS6g
Excellent find, Zod.
Victor H.
Cool... groovy....
W.Dockery
Good morning, my friend.
W.Dockery
Again, good selection.
George J. (George J. Dance)
Thanks for bumping it. It got a bit overlooked the first time around.
W.Dockery
2024-04-13 06:44:40 UTC
Post by George J. (George J. Dance)
Post by W.Dockery
Post by George J. Dance
The Lonely Hunter, by Fiona MacLeod
[...]
Deep in the heart of Summer, sweet is life to me still,
But my heart is a lonely hunter that hunts on a lonely hill.
[...]
https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/07/the-lonely-hunter-fiona-macleod.html
Again, good selection.
Thanks for bumping it. It got a bit overlooked the first time around.
Worth another read, definitely.

😏