PPP: Men Who March Away / Thomas Hardy
George J. Dance
2022-11-12 16:31:45 UTC
Today's poem on Penny's Poetry Blog:
Men Who March Away, by Thomas Hardy
.
What of the faith and fire within us
Men who march away
Ere the barn-cocks say
Night is growing gray,
[...]
https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/11/men-who-march-away-thomas-hardy.html
George J. Dance
2022-11-13 21:47:52 UTC
Post by George J. Dance
Men Who March Away, by Thomas Hardy
.
What of the faith and fire within us
        Men who march away
        Ere the barn-cocks say
        Night is growing gray,
[...]
https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/11/men-who-march-away-thomas-hardy.html
Thanks for finding and bumping it, Zod. I just found it this weekend,
and I thought it was perfect for its place. As far as I know, it's
Hardy's only patriotic poem; most of the stuff I've read, like "The
Christmas Ghost" on PPB, is very anti-war. But while the pro-war
rhetoric stuff isn't my cup of tea, it has to be acknowledged as
reality: Hardy's poem, as well as Pope's, probably best sum up the
sentiments of the English soldiers going off to war at the beginning.
General-Zod
I've read some other Thomas Hardy poems, quite good....
George J. Dance
2022-11-18 03:42:15 UTC
Post by General-Zod
Post by George J. Dance
Post by George J. Dance
Men Who March Away, by Thomas Hardy
.
What of the faith and fire within us
         Men who march away
         Ere the barn-cocks say
         Night is growing gray,
[...]
https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/11/men-who-march-away-thomas-hardy.html
Thanks for finding and bumping it, Zod. I just found it this weekend,
and I thought it was perfect for its place. As far as I know, it's
Hardy's only patriotic poem; most of the stuff I've read, like "The
Christmas Ghost" on PPB, is very anti-war. But while the pro-war
rhetoric stuff isn't my cup of tea, it has to be acknowledged as
reality: Hardy's poem, as well as Pope's, probably best sum up the
sentiments of the English soldiers going off to war at the beginning.
I've read some other Thomas Hardy poems, quite good....
I've blogged 10 of his poems now, and at least half of them have videos
a well:
https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/search/label/Thomas%20Hardy
W-Dockery
2022-11-18 05:27:00 UTC
Post by George J. Dance
Post by General-Zod
Post by George J. Dance
Post by George J. Dance
[...]
Great to see the real George Dance.

I just reported a few nasty forgeries to Google. tonight
General-Zod
Outstanding...!
W.Dockery
Again, agreed and seconded.
W.Dockery
Agreed, good selection.
General-Zod
2024-04-04 21:39:51 UTC
Post by George J. Dance
Post by George J. Dance
Men Who March Away, by Thomas Hardy
.
What of the faith and fire within us
        Men who march away
        Ere the barn-cocks say
        Night is growing gray,
[...]
https://gdancesbetty.blogspot.com/2022/11/men-who-march-away-thomas-hardy.html
Thanks for finding and bumping it, Zod. I just found it this weekend,
and I thought it was perfect for its place. As far as I know, it's
Hardy's only patriotic poem; most of the stuff I've read, like "The
Christmas Ghost" on PPB, is very anti-war. But while the pro-war
rhetoric stuff isn't my cup of tea, it has to be acknowledged as
reality: Hardy's poem, as well as Pope's, probably best sum up the
sentiments of the English soldiers going off to war at the beginning.
Still excellent....!