Two views of writing poetry
George J. Dance
2022-07-22 18:42:39 UTC
"Philip Larkin would leave half-finished poems in a drawer for decades
until he found the right lines to complete them. Let’s reserve the word
'poet' for writers who respect language enough to do things like that."
https://www.theage.com.au/culture/music/bob-dylan-a-great-poet-a-great-delusion-more-like-it-20220502-p5ahrz.html

"Dumb ass. Real poets can write a poem as easily as some of us think.
In other words, it doesn’t take fucking decades."
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/i7lvIdnUvwU/m/PV9DS2-UAgAJ?hl=en
W-Dockery
2022-07-26 16:17:24 UTC
Post by George J. Dance
"Philip Larkin would leave half-finished poems in a drawer for decades
until he found the right lines to complete them. Let’s reserve the word
'poet' for writers who respect language enough to do things like that."
https://www.theage.com.au/culture/music/bob-dylan-a-great-poet-a-great-delusion-more-like-it-20220502-p5ahrz.html
"Dumb ass. Real poets can write a poem as easily as some of us think.
In other words, it doesn’t take fucking decades."
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/i7lvIdnUvwU/m/PV9DS2-UAgAJ?hl=en
"Different strokes for different folks."
-Sylvester Stone
Victor H.
The wonderful freedom of poetry....
W-Dockery
2022-07-29 23:42:31 UTC
Post by Victor H.
Post by W-Dockery
Post by George J. Dance
"Philip Larkin would leave half-finished poems in a drawer for decades
until he found the right lines to complete them. Let’s reserve the word
'poet' for writers who respect language enough to do things like that."
https://www.theage.com.au/culture/music/bob-dylan-a-great-poet-a-great-delusion-more-like-it-20220502-p5ahrz.html
"Dumb ass. Real poets can write a poem as easily as some of us think.
In other words, it doesn’t take fucking decades."
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/i7lvIdnUvwU/m/PV9DS2-UAgAJ?hl=en
"Different strokes for different folks."
-Sylvester Stone
The wonderful freedom of poetry....
Agreed and seconded.

🙂
General-Zod
Good one...
W.Dockery
Worth another read, good find.
Victor H.
I actually have used both methods..... in poetry.... in art..... and in the video film I worked on for years, never finished... alas...
W-Dockery
Again, it definitely depends on the poem, as you know, some seem to come nearly complete, spontaneous.
Zod @news.novabbs.com (Zod )
2022-08-05 19:48:05 UTC
Post by George J. Dance
"Philip Larkin would leave half-finished poems in a drawer for decades
until he found the right lines to complete them. Let’s reserve the word
'poet' for writers who respect language enough to do things like that."
https://www.theage.com.au/culture/music/bob-dylan-a-great-poet-a-great-delusion-more-like-it-20220502-p5ahrz.html
"Dumb ass. Real poets can write a poem as easily as some of us think.
In other words, it doesn’t take fucking decades."
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/i7lvIdnUvwU/m/PV9DS2-UAgAJ?hl=en
Good use of quotes, well put.
🙂
Agreed and seconded...
W-Dockery
Depends on the poem, of course.
W.Dockery
2022-08-14 09:05:50 UTC
Post by George J. Dance
"Philip Larkin would leave half-finished poems in a drawer for decades
until he found the right lines to complete them. Let’s reserve the word
'poet' for writers who respect language enough to do things like that.."
https://www.theage.com.au/culture/music/bob-dylan-a-great-poet-a-great-delusion-more-like-it-20220502-p5ahrz.html
"Dumb ass. Real poets can write a poem as easily as some of us think.
In other words, it doesn’t take fucking decades."
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/i7lvIdnUvwU/m/PV9DS2-UAgAJ?hl=en
And then there's the third category...
That's the ones like you, who second hand dreary rhymes and unimaginative themes from 200 year old classics, Pendragon?

We know.
Victor H.
2022-10-04 20:30:52 UTC
Post by George J. Dance
"Philip Larkin would leave half-finished poems in a drawer for decades
until he found the right lines to complete them. Let’s reserve the word
'poet' for writers who respect language enough to do things like that."
https://www.theage.com.au/culture/music/bob-dylan-a-great-poet-a-great-delusion-more-like-it-20220502-p5ahrz.html
"Dumb ass. Real poets can write a poem as easily as some of us think.
In other words, it doesn’t take fucking decades."
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/i7lvIdnUvwU/m/PV9DS2-UAgAJ?hl=en
The two views only appear to cancel one another out
Nobody says they do...
W-Dockery
2023-04-14 12:43:53 UTC
Post by George J. Dance
"Philip Larkin would leave half-finished poems in a drawer for decades
until he found the right lines to complete them. Let’s reserve the word
'poet' for writers who respect language enough to do things like that."
https://www.theage.com.au/culture/music/bob-dylan-a-great-poet-a-great-delusion-more-like-it-20220502-p5ahrz.html
"Dumb ass. Real poets can write a poem as easily as some of us think.
In other words, it doesn’t take fucking decades."
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/i7lvIdnUvwU/m/PV9DS2-UAgAJ?hl=en
I was thinking about this, this morning, as I've been in both areas with my poetry over the years.

Depends on the moment, really.
George J. Dance
2023-04-15 13:41:40 UTC
Post by W-Dockery
Post by George J. Dance
"Philip Larkin would leave half-finished poems in a drawer for decades
until he found the right lines to complete them. Let’s reserve the word
'poet' for writers who respect language enough to do things like that."
https://www.theage.com.au/culture/music/bob-dylan-a-great-poet-a-great-delusion-more-like-it-20220502-p5ahrz.html
"Dumb ass. Real poets can write a poem as easily as some of us think.
In other words, it doesn’t take fucking decades."
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/i7lvIdnUvwU/m/PV9DS2-UAgAJ?hl=en
I was thinking about this, this morning, as I've been in both areas with my poetry over the years.
Depends on the moment, really.
Yes, it depends on the situation, and on the work, too. I've completed poems in as long as it takes to write them down, and I've wrestled with others for decades.

One thing I didn't bother to point out, back on the aapc thread, but should is that neither of the above comments were written by poets.
W.Dockery
2023-04-20 03:13:49 UTC
Post by W-Dockery
Post by George J. Dance
"Philip Larkin would leave half-finished poems in a drawer for decades
until he found the right lines to complete them. Let’s reserve the word
'poet' for writers who respect language enough to do things like that."
https://www.theage.com.au/culture/music/bob-dylan-a-great-poet-a-great-delusion-more-like-it-20220502-p5ahrz.html
"Dumb ass. Real poets can write a poem as easily as some of us think.
In other words, it doesn’t take fucking decades."
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/c/i7lvIdnUvwU/m/PV9DS2-UAgAJ?hl=en
I was thinking about this, this morning, as I've been in both areas with my poetry over the years.
Depends on the moment, really.
I daresay I am also in that boat of poetics.....
Good evening my friend, I hope you're doing well.
W.Dockery
This was discussed on the Leonard Cohen documentary I watched a few days ago.
W.Dockery @news.novabbs.com (W.Dockery)
Again, well put.
General-Zod
Another read, of interest...